Dropbox, is a very cool program that allows you share your files with your knitting and non-knitting friends as well as access them anywhere. It is a cloud program, so you will need 3G or WiFi if your on the go.
Here are the various functions of Dropbox, you can:
- Sync your files online, so if you have a dropbox app on your mobile device and your PC, it will sync your files to all your devices. So no matter where you are or what device you are using you are up to date. A cool feature, is that if it is a file that is a work in progress it will only save the parts that have been updated. What does that mean, efficiency, so you aren't sitting around waiting for it to save entire files over again, it just saves the parts that have updated. Saves you time and possibly batter life, if your mobile.
- You can share files with friends, co-workers, whomever you want. Dropbox has public and private file folders and you can designate who has access to which public folders, making collaboration a breeze. You can also use it to share photos.
- Your files are backed up online automatically, you done have to worry about running a back up program. You can also restore previous versions if you accidentally delete something up to 30 days. How cool is that!?
- Your files are stored on secure servers and transmitted over secure and encrypted channels. Only those people you designate (if any other than yourself) have access to the files and you can change whose permissions at anytime. The public folders are only public to those people, it does not mean public in the sense that they are searchable by anyone outside your group.
- Dropbox has an app for iPad, iPod, Android and Blackberry, you can sync from your mobile device, upload mobile pictures, download files for offline viewing and so much more.
There are two versions of Dropbox the free and the paid. The free allows you 2GB of online storage and the paid version give you 50 GB for $9.99 a month or 100 GB for $19.99 a month. It also works with PC's, Mac and Linux computers. Also, you get extra free storage if you invite friends to use Dropbox and they create an account.
I give it two needles up for ease of use and accessibility. To learn more visit Dropbox.com.